Lovingly known as Mt. P, the city of Mount Pleasant is the biggest suburb of Charleston. It has the benefit of established neighborhoods and stores, communities, and being one of the closest neighborhoods to downtown Charleston. Mount Pleasant is one of the most expensive areas to live, but it’s worth it for all the benefits!
Distance To Downtown Charleston: 5 to 30 minutes
With apartments, older neighborhoods, and new construction all throughout Mount Pleasant, it can be the perfect fit for whatever you’re looking for. There are a few “main” sections of Mount Pleasant that are the most desirable, Old Mount Pleasant, I’on, Long Point Road, and Dunes West.
- Old Mount Pleasant – This historic, older area is one of the most sought after neighborhoods. Find larger single family homes with yards that are very close to both the beach and downtown Charleston.
- I’On – For a community, private club vibe, the I’On Village is perfect for families and retirees who want it all in one close-knit community. I’On also has the added benefit of being very close to downtown.
- Long Point – In the heart of Mt. P, the Long Point road area houses newer homes and all the amenities but it is a bit set apart from Charleston.
- Dunes West – Stretching from mid-Mount Pleasant all the way to Isle of Palms beach, is the newly developed Dunes West area. New construction can provide all types of homeowners space and privacy away from the hustle and bustle of Mount Pleasant central and Downtown.
Many Mt. P’ers head to Downtown Charleston to get their thrills, but there is a vibrant nightlife to be found on Shem Creek at bars and restaurants like Red’s, Tavern & Table, Water’s Edge, and more!
Beach and water sports are huge here, with kite surfing at Sullivan’s, paddle boarding or kayak rentals leaving from Shem Creek, and relaxed family beach-going close by at Isle of Palms.
Shem Creek houses some of our favorite restaurants like Page’s Okra Grill, but there are gems hidden throughout Mt. Pleasant for great eats. Get ridiculously good hot dogs at Jack’s Cosmic Dog’s off of Highway 17. Check out the great beer and lunch specials at Liberty Tap Room and then grab one of the best rated dinner’s from the Pickled Palate off Coleman Blvd.
The schools in Mount Pleasant are the best in the Charleston area. Top rated Wando High is where most kid’s go, but there’s multiple private primary schools, including the Buist Academy, University School of the Lowcountry, and more.
The community is real in Mount Pleasant, and there are tons of events every single weekend! The major and most popular events are:
- Boone Hall Events All Year ‘Round
- Tuesday Night Farmer’s Market
- Shem Creek Events
- Patriot’s Point
- Party at the Point
Mount Pleasant Real Estate For Sale
If you and your family are ready to make the move to Mount Pleasant, we can help you find the best homes made to fit your lifestyle, desired commutes, and housing needs. By living and playing in these neighborhoods we can help you find your best options. Whether you’re looking to buy your first home, expand to make room for a growing family, sell your old home, or find a vacation home, the real estate experts at The Block Charleston can help you find the best fit.
Leave a Comment
- Top Charleston Neighborhoods: West Ashley
- Dog Friendly Charleston